What does your child learn at school each day? Find information about our curriculum subjects here.
The opportunities, organisation and provision for the teaching and learning of reading are as follows:
- Shared reading
- Guided reading
- Independent reading
- Phonics – Letters and Sounds
- Resources – A book banded reading scheme (Oxford Reading Tree) operates to Level 20. Children are also free to choose from a wide range of texts. Reading materials include fiction and nonfiction, comics, annuals, digital texts, audio texts. Every classroom has a well-stocked reading area.
- Links to parents – Each child has a reading record book which logs books they have read and comments about their reading. Parents and teaching staff write in this book.
- Class books: Stories are read to the children on a daily basis throughout the school.
- Reading at home: Children are expected to read/share books at home every day.
Here at Aveley Primary School we provide a creative curriculum based around the Cornerstones Curriculum, a nationally recognised approach for delivering outstanding learning opportunities for children. This incorporates the foundation subjects and science.